Friday, March 26, 2010

Random Thoughts 9.29.10

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 5:10pm

Had time to kill at work today as I usually do, and posted this quote that I came up with as my facebook status after some deep salsa-thought. Alot of my facebook salsa peeps liked it, so I decided I'd share it w/ you guys.

"Dancing is when your body says things that you never knew you wanted to say. You express things that words would never be able to describe."

I came to this conclusion after pondering the idea that dance in general is supposed to be a form of self-expression. While I do agree with that, the logical side of me thought "Ok... If I'm expressing myself when I dance, what exactly is it that I'm saying?" Indeed, there are times when a song makes you feel a certain way that readily registers in your mind (happy, sad, energetic, upbeat, relaxed, angry, joyful, etc). Or, a song tells a story and you move as if you were describing the tone or feeling of the story. However, there are probably just as many moments when you're dancing to a song; yet, there's not a definite feeling attached to it, nor a definite story to be told. What exactly is your body saying at that point? What are you expressing?

I think your body just has things that it wants to say, and dancing gives it that avenue to express itself. The brain may still give it commands of what to do and how to do it, but not even the brain itself -or your own consciousness for that matter- really knows what is being said. There are no words that can be attached to it, no way to truly categorize it, no way for even our own minds to translate what is said. Dance is a language completely foriegn to our minds, but that doesn't mean that our minds don't enjoy it all the same. Just like I can hear song being sung in Spanish and it sounds so beautiful to my ears despite the fact that I can't understand what's being said, our eyes and minds enjoy the sight of dancing, even if we can't quite comprehend what the bodies involved in the dance are expressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment