Friday, April 1, 2011

"You's a FOOL."

Ah, yes. April 1, 2011. “April Fool’s Day,” once again. Being the inquisitive person that I am, I thought about the word “fool,” since it apparently goes along with today’s theme. Myself included, we often throw around this word very loosely. I figured it would do us all some good to really take time out to gain an accurate understanding of what a “fool” is and what it means to be one.

Whenever I come across a new word or a word I otherwise am not sure that I have an understanding of, I head over to dictionary.com on my handy-dandy iPhone. What a concept! Don’t know what a word means? Look it up! *END SARCASM* I feel this is important because countless words have strayed from their original meaning, so far that many of us often don’t realize what we’re really saying when we use particular words. The word “fool” has a few meanings, but the first definition listed is this:

-noun

1. A silly or stupid person; a person who lacks judgment or sense.


I also decided to consult God’s word –The Bible– (there’s another worthwhile concept) regarding what it means to be a fool. The word “fool” and its many derivatives appear countless times throughout the Bible, but the best place to find the characteristics of foolery can be found in the book of Proverbs. There are many verses that touch on this subject, but here are the ones that stood out to me.

A “fool”:


– Despises wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7)

– Is complacent. (Proverbs 1:32)

– Talks (chatters) too much. (Proverbs 10:8, 10)

– Lies and slanders. (Proverbs 10:18)

– Will eventually DIE from lack of sense. (Proverbs 10:21)

– Finds pleasure in wickedness. (Proverbs 10:23)

– Does not listen to advice. (Proverbs 12:15)

– Shows annoyance at once. (Proverbs 12:16)

– Detests turning from evil. (Proverbs 13:19)

– Tears down her own house. (Proverbs 14:1) *Scripture specifically addresses women, but I’m pretty sure many a male fool has done the same.*

– Is prideful. (Proverbs 14:3)

– Mocks at making amends for sin. (Proverbs 14:9)

– Is hotheaded, yet feels secure. (Proverbs 14:16)

– Is quick-tempered. (Proverbs 14:17)

– Has wandering eyes. (Proverbs 17:24)

– Delights in airing his/her own opinions. (Proverbs 18:2)

– Is quick to quarrel. (Proverbs 19:29)

– Is wise in his/her own eyes. (Proverbs 26:5)

– Repeats folly. (Proverbs 26:11)

– Gives full vent to rage. (Proverbs 29:11)

– Speaks in haste. (Proverbs 29:20)

– Exalts himself. (Proverbs 30:32)


Despite the fact that this list is not at all exhaustive, I’m pretty sure everyone has fallen or still does fall under at least one of these characteristics, myself included. This is very convicting, to say the least. I implore anyone who is reading this to take these scriptures to heart. Ask yourself: Are my ways foolish? We are very foolish indeed if we refuse to acknowledge and address the foolery in our lives when pointed out to us.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post Smoove.. I was having a quiet time with the kids and one was studying honor/respect and the other one, anger. The both had scriptures that you enclosed above and some in Ecclesiastes. The conclusion in the matter was I asked them Are you a fool? of course they didn't like that so I often remind them of their actions being foolish. It does apply to us as well.Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete